November 22, 2010

Week three…. And go.

Here’s a few bullet points about my paleo challenge experience so far.

- Paleo-friendly friends. I went to my buddies place yesterday to watch the games, and he’d prepared two different types of chicken, sausage, Italian beef and chilli. Sure, the French bread cried out to me, as did the rice crispy treats, but I stood strong and struck down the urges.

- Tripping Balls. I’ve been having trippy dreams lately about food; I’ve never dreamt about food in my life. I woke up in a sweat thinking about soft tacos (which led to an interesting Friday morning discussion at 8:30 class), had intense visions of glazed donuts, and the texture of the bottom of a pizza (if you use corn meal or flour on the bottom to prevent sticking). The sight of a biscotti the other day bought me back to reality though, ‘cause biscotti is gross.

- Pleased to meat you. I’ve been concentrating too much on preparing lean proteins, and almost forgetting about the vegetable component, only coming as an after thought. This I have to work on, man can not survive on meat/poultry alone. Also, I’ve almost od’d on mashed cauliflower.

- Guilt. I’ve gotten to the point where I felt guilty grabbing a handful of 10 berries. I’m sure a certain under-the-bridge-dweller could give me some facts about how berries aren’t bad for you, and I understand they’re not. The fact is, within this challenge, they’re not the best substitute.

- Abel. Made the shepards pie yesterday (actually cottage pie- beef) and portioned it out for lunches. Its great, although next time I’m going to increase the meat-age, for a thicker pie.

- Intro/Outro. I’ve been pooping like a champ lately, and I’m pretty sure it’s the increase in meat intake. Without getting in to too much detail, these Fibre one commercials on TV ain’t got nothing on me, if they wanted to make that cereal properly it would just be chicken drumsticks and steak.

- Following the above statement, my increase intake of tea and water to compensate for what used to be an evening snack or glass of wine has interrupted my sleep; I’m getting up constantly in the middle of the night to pee, and I’m not sure if it’s the diet, or the change in weather or what, but it’s not helping.

- You're so vein. My pants are looser on me and as I got out of the shower this morning I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror. Needless to say, that glimpse turned into a glance and, well, I was late for work.

12 comments:

  1. One of the funniest Friday AM classes I have been to.

    PINK TACO!!!!!!!!

    Keep up the good work Dole. No bullshitting. Its only 3 more weeks of your life so just think of it as a 3 week WOD - Paleo for time. Feed that ego ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How can I get my password for the blog? Super G

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah yes, I was supposed to ask when this ended, did we agree on a re measurement date? Just because it's so close to xmas, and I'll be flying out to NY

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super G, I sent your info to doogie so you should have gotten an email inviting you to be an author. Check junk mail?

    Dole, the end date is sun Dec 19. Location is TBD. I'll let you know as soon as I know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dole, have you always been obsessed with food (strong urges, dreams, guilt) or is that something new?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice, Dole! What kind of tea do you drink?

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so funny! I've had dreams about food - like thanksgiving passing without eating pumpkin pie, and another weird one I can't remember. It seems like when you are so focused on food its probably expected you'lll dream about it.

    Would it be possible to do an early measurement date? I leave Friday the 17th for Xmas.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was hilarious. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dole, have you been having dreams about pink tacos as well as soft tacos? Or soft pink tacos?

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Dole

    Interesting. One of the things that interests me about CF/Paleo/other exercise/diet stuff in general is how we relate to diet/exercise collectively and let it run our lives vs. let it make our lives better. (Isn't this why we do what we do?) This is an argument for moderation, in my opinion.

    Also, I guess the berry thing was a jab at me? Why do you think I would be against moderate berry consumption (or for lots of berry consumption)...?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jab in jest, for following so strictly that I'd feel guilty indulging in a little bit of fruit.

    I understand what you mean about letting it run our lives, which is why I don't find strict paleo to be sustainable for me. That being said, the reason I'm trying to stay strict for these few weeks is, because in my mind, that's the whole point of a challenge.

    I'm going to add some of the things I've cut out back, slowly, in moderation. Others I'm going to try and keep eliminated for a while, to try and make it a diet, in the original sense of the word "way of life" so I don't have to think about it. If that makes any sense.

    ReplyDelete