September 29, 2010

Paleo Lunch in da Loop

So yesterday during lunch, I decided to take advantage of the weather and walk around and do a little investigation on some of the healthier lunch options in the loop area. I was excited because for the most part, three of the places I've never been too, so as a food snob, my expectations were high.

First up, Pret a Manger at 211 W. Adams St. between Wells and Franklin, http://www.pret.com/us\ The website looks promising, "Pret creates handmade, natural food avoiding the obscure chemicals, additives and preservatives common to so much of the 'prepared' and 'fast' food on the market today.", so I was pumped. I walked in and most to all of the food is pre made. I checked out the menu prior to going so I knew I was going to get the chicken/avocado salad. I picked up the last one, then went over to their dressing selection to see all sorts of chemicals and bull shit listed. Sunflower oil, Canola oil, honey, things I couldn't pronounce....the list goes on. None of these items seem healthy to me. I then went and checked out their soup selection, hoping they would have something without grain or dairy and they did not. The only soup they had was Miso and I try to avoid soy like the plague. So I left.

Second up, the Protein Bar at 235 S Franklin St, www.proteinbarchicago.com. By the name of it I'm already thinking that this could be a great place to grab something paleo as I heard rumors the owner works out at Crossfit Atlas here in Chicago. I have to be honest, the entire menu was bogus. Lot's of protein powders, lot's of quinoa, lot's of beans in their chili and the salads that they had premade had dairy. I asked a person behind the counter if their were any options without diary and grains or gluten free and he didn't know what gluten free was, so with that, I left and headed toward my third option.

Third choice was Mezza Mediterranean Grill, which is new located at 181 W Madison St, http://mezzagrill.com/home/. I love me some Mediterranean food and I was ready. After reviewing the menu I decided to get the grilled veggie salad, without cheese with spicy chicken and the dressing on the side since I'm convinced all restaurants have crap in their dressings. This salad was really good, the veggies were grilled fresh, though I didn't ask in what, but I will be going back so I will update once I find out. The chicken tasted good as well and the spicy seasonings weren't too much. I didn't really need dressing either because of the vegetables. They also had a great selection of home made soups, I will have to get one next time I'm there.

Fourth choice was my old favorite, Chipotle. I'm convinced this has to be the healthiest paleo option out of everything I've ever come across. I got the steak burrito bowl, with mild salsa (tomato, cilantro, onion, jalapeno, lime juice) and a side of guac. This was filling and satisfying. I read somewhere online that you can order this and get it cheaper by saying you want sides of steak and a side of guac but it was busy that day and I didn't feel like being an asshole, so I just went with the bowl, without rice and beans. Oh yeah, when you say no rice or beans, they look at you like a gringo, which I guess I am.

Diet has been good all week, I made some chicken/pepperoncini/bacon wraps via MDA, http://www.marksdailyapple.com/spicy-chicken-and-bacon-poppers/. Yaz and Dingo made these for me before and I loved them, so I decided to do a spin on them and they turned out great. Because I do not own a grill, I just baked them at 400 for 20 minutes on one side and then 15 on the other. You will not need a sauce either because the bacon and pepperoncini spice things up nicely. Make sure you get the peppers not packed in crap.



4 comments:

  1. You don't own a grill? Your foodie card is revoked effective immediately! You may reapply upon obtaining a grill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. upon reading this post, i put down my typing fingers and went and bought a burrito bowl. yum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Burrito bowl...interesting. I normally despise Chipotle, but when the options are limited, may be worth a gander.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. Prior to this challenge I was dying to go to Pret-a-Manger for a lovely little sandwich. Now I shall just avoid the place.

    ReplyDelete