October 26, 2010

Alton Brown

Okay, who loves Alton? I seriously think he is pretty cool. If you are not familiar with Alton Brown, then google the dude, his cooking show is based on 1 part science, 1 part cooking and 1 part Monty Python and I have always found him to be entertaining.

In the last few months, I've noticed that AB has lost a significant amount of weight and was worried something was wrong, but could never find anything online other then speculation...until last night. He had a Good Eats episode on called Live and Let Diet and he explained why he choose to lose 50 lbs and how he did it. Again, that is 50 lbs in 9 months, pretty significant especially for someone who works with food daily and probably has daily invites to the best restaurants wherever he goes.

Pre AB



Post AB



I bring this up because after tomorrow it's up to us on how to proceed with our diets, do we do paleo 80/20 and does that even work? Or do we allow a cheat day or cheat weekend and am I strong enough to not eat three times as many calories on the weekend vs. during my paleo week? Do I add back dairy/sweets/grain and how do I do this without making myself sick? I'm afraid that I'm going to eat back all my fat loss like I did this summer.

Alton doesn't follow the paleo diet, but he doesn't eat dairy or processed sugar. He also chooses to only eat red meat once a week and is very strict about what he allows to go through his body.

Here is his breakdown:

daily 3x/week 1x/week 0x/week
fruits
whole grains
leafy greens
nuts
carrots
green tea
oily fish
yogurt
broccoli
sweet potato
avocado
red meat
pasta
dessert
alcohol
fast food
soda
processed meals
canned soups
“diet” anything

I don't think I could be this strict with how I eat every week, as it would take the fun out of eating and ya'all (shout out to Mo) know how I love to cook and eat everything. But again, maybe it's worth a shot to begin with, mostly the 1 x week list and eat read meat more liberally. Just thought it was interesting and wanted to hear what others are thinking of trying after tomorrow night.

3 comments:

  1. I think I am going to continue as I have through this challenge - which is pretty much 95-97% paleo. I am going to continue with no to VERY limited dairy - including not using cream when I cook and avoiding cheese like the plague. Regarding sweets - I plan to limit myself to paleo treats, which I have found to be pretty darn good. Every now and then I may have bread (gasp!), but only the best kind (i.e. fresh baked, warm, in a basket with liberal amounts of butter). Not sure if I am going to go back to beer. That's a tough one as I do enjoy beer - but I certainly think I can avoid it/limit it at least until warmer weather is here. Winter is more conducive to red wine anyway... :-)

    I guess I will see where I am tomorrow before I make any final decisions.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW - I think post AB looks terrible. Too thin.

    ReplyDelete