November 23, 2010

Quick n' Easy

I was thinking about the talk about post-workout protein in Scants last post, and how I've adjusted to preparing food ahead of time. In a bind, I've bought some back up supply of the JUST JERKY from Paleo Kit, which J$ has in the office. Its reliable, high in protein and tasty, although chewing can sometimes be a pain in the ass.
Anyway, as I got home last night, post jerky, I was really hungry. I had picked up some split chicken breasts with ribs for about $3 at Jewel a few nights before hand, and I've had an acorn squash sitting around collecting dust on the counter. Trim the skin, excess fat off the chicken, use some of the leftover rosemary from the shepards pie, crack of salt n' pepper, squish of garlic, driz of olive oil, half the squash, throw in the oven for 40 minutes at 350, and bam. Easy-ass dinner. I went liberal with the rosemary, and my kitchen smelled AMAZING after about 15 minutes. The chicken was perfectly done, juicy and just right.
I could have saved one of the breasts, ziplocked it, and thrown it in the fridge at the gym for post workout, but I downed the whole thing. Instead, while all that was baking, I prepped a bit of extra pork for that purpose. Two birds, one stone.

5 comments:

  1. Yummy!
    How much are those paleo kits at WCCF? I worked a 13 hour shift with only 15 minutes in between hospitals in the morning to scarf down some food I had packed. I need some things to keep in my lab coat that will be quick and easy. I'm kind of sick of nuts as that has been my go to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. $5 for about 250 calories I think? Maybe. 26g of protes, no carbs, but the sodium is up there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be careful with the paleo kits if your goals is leaning out.

    Dole, why did you trim the fat and skin?

    ReplyDelete
  4. cause chicken skin grosses me out 9 times out of 10

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dole, nice work on planning ahead.

    Doogie, why are the Paleo kits bad for leaning out? Is it too much sugar in the fruit part?

    Colin

    ReplyDelete