November 21, 2010

Cave In

So last time I wrote something, I said I hadn't had temptation issues, yet.

And today, I had them.  It's true, I am a foodie, and I just had to bake something.  My real problems aren't going out to eat, its when I try to stay in and get the overwhelming urge to cook.

I had just finished roasting a  leg of lamb with beets, and I just couldn't stop cooking.  After rooting around my cupboard a little bit, I realized I still had just about all the ingredients for Vanilla Macarons.  They're just ground almond, egg white, vanilla, and sugar.  So they aren't the worst thing ever, but it's still sugar.

I did manage to resist making a buttercream and filling them like sandwich cookies.


Boy am I glad I didn't agree to that burpee thing.

9 comments:

  1. I'm having the same type of cravings today. Something warm, something baked, something yummy. Maybe chocolate chip cookies? I'm hungry and cranky and wanting something I shouldnt be eating.

    I dont know if I signed myself up for burpees for cheating, but I think am officially doing it now. I was bad yesterday and had a soy latte, cheese on my chicken parm dinner and a scoop of ice cream. How many burpees does that equal? :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next time use honey instead of sugar. Honey in limited quantities is paleo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jonina - check out elanaspantry.com and look up banana date muffins. They work wonders when you have a sweet craving. However, I will say, the best way to curb a sweet craving is to cut the sugar out. Commit to it if only for the duration of this challenge. That goes for soy and cheese as well. If you don't the cravings will never stop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honey and table sugar are the same thing. If you want or are going to use sugar, might as well just use sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. DT - I don't disagree - they are both "sugar", however, honey isn't processed (at least the honey I buy). It's a "cleaner" food IMHO.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't buy the honey in the bear, as my father always says, "get it right from the bee's ass". I know it technically doesn't come from the bee's ass, but buy as raw as you can get. Shit, we used to be able to bring 5kg cans over from greece before TSA started doing their jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Yaz. I'm baking some Banana Nut muffins now :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. No fair to post pictures like that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Yaz for the purposes of a challenge, I'd just cut out the honey. After the challenge limited sugar is going to happen anyway so if you prefer honey, sounds ok to me as long as you know your body treats it the same as table sugar (i.e. limit intake).

    ReplyDelete