September 28, 2010

Grok never had it this good!


Yes, this is my new kitchen! I seriously thought about sleeping here when I first moved in. Arguably, I hadn't set up my cave yet so sleeping anywhere was an option.

I have cooked up a storm in the week or so that I have been here. Getting that $8k Bertazzoni gunned up for the first time was like the first time I jumped into a luxury vehicle. "drive it like you stole it" my good friend Jeff would say.

Still, I wonder about our buddy sitting in his cave. He'd have no desire to use my masterpiece and I could only imagine what he might use it for. Nope... This guy would have cooked in or on the ground. I've tried that too... Actually turned out really delicious.

I made it through the last of the move and now I've just got some unpacking to do. Feels good to be at this part even though it is in Oak Park.

Thinking about application of Paleo we have to remember that this is a modern interpretation. To truly embrace Paleo nutrition we have to stop trying to replace our modern comfort foods (ice cream, cookies, jello... and the list goes on) with Paleo versions of the recipes. It is possible to make almost anything "paleo" but again this is about feeding our bodies the fuel it needs. So, try thinking about the effect you want to achieve and truthfully agree that the paleo cookie is not going to help you reach it. Believe me your tastes will change...
-------
Breakfast was a Smoked Salmon Frittata with a little almond butter.
Snack was a KIND bar and a Starbucks Americano black
Technically I missed lunch because of moving
Dinner was spaghetti squash with homemade (from scratch) meat sauce (which was my best batch yet!)

5 comments:

  1. Sorry JPo - but from a personal perspective, I gotta disagree with your no paleo ice cream, cookies etc position. Perhaps this is what works best for you but I do not think Paleo is a one size fits all diet (as Dingo has recently learned). Although we do not have any kids, if we did, I would want them on a paleo(ish) diet. If one can be successful in that by providing coconut milk ice cream or banana muffins so be it. Or even better - if an adult can say straight on paleo b/c they are able to "indulge" in paleo treats where's the harm? One could make the same argument against eating a KIND bar. Grok certainly didn't have a pre-made gluten free bar at his disposal. IMHO, just b/c the diet is called "paleo" does not mean we have to eschew modern conveniences and eat raw meat or sleep on the ground. And I daresay had Grok seen your beautiful stove, he would have far preferred it to rubbing two sticks together!

    That being said, as Beck so artfully put it at the beginning of this, n=1 so if going without paleo treats works for you embrace it! As for me, I can't wait to make coconut milk ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the 80/20 or even 90/10 rule. If you can eat well 80% of the time, you are well on your way. Granted that 20% can't be a whole pizza, but a slice or two won't hurt. The key is if you are going to cheat, might as well do it and not feel guilty about it. Enjoy it in moderation and move on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me, I make paleo banana muffins and paleo ice cream b/c I see it tastes like a cheat but in moderation, it's not. And to be honest, is it really a cheat if I made it myself and know all the ingredients are whole/organic? If a caveman had the technology (not science to fuck up the food) we have today with freezers, food processors, etc I'm sure they would make these things as well, at least I like to think that. Your argument about keeping foods as pure as possible while eating paleo and not eating these paleofied items could be said for any nut butter, any bar or even any frittata, so it's a fine line at least for me on what works.

    ReplyDelete
  4. :-) Wrote it all last night super fast. I was neither trying to say that you can't use modern appliances nor make modifications. The point I was trying to make is that I often times think too much about the "caveman" instead of the real intention of the Paleo diet. I have to keep track types of food that I am consuming. So many people jump into paleo and think that if they can make something paleo (which is generally true) then they can eat it in unlimited quantities.

    Sorry if it came off wrong... wasn't trying to offend :)

    I think Paleo treats are fabulous!! I'd love paleo bananna muffins... and I have yet to figure out ice cream... I LOVE ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No offense taken J-Po!! Like I said, this an individual journey for each of us and is all about finding what works. Little did Dingo know he would be drinking a half gallon of milk a day! Not paleo but it is what he needs. If you need a little treat now and then - make it paleo and feel GOOD about yourself! And btw - I have kitchen envy... :-)

    ReplyDelete